Sunday, August 15, 2004

Dublin

So I had quite the adventure trying to get in to the city centre from Dublin airport. I only had 50 euro bills on me, and you need exact change for the bus. So I had to look for this non-existant change machine before I finally got fed up and went to the shop and bought a bottle of water.

It doesn't end there. The hostel is actually a 5 minute walk from the Busarus when you aren't carrying any luggage!!! But when you are, it takes a long time. And I suffered!!!! The hostel itself though is quite nice and new looking. My roomies are nice people but older.

So I went to see the room tonight. Finding that place was another experience in itself. I really need to get better with directions and finding stuff. So I making that my goal, so I don't have to stop someone every two minutes and ask for directions. So got on the bus to go to the bridge where the flat is. And I told the bus driver to let me off at the bridge and he didn't. So I had to get on the other bus and luckily that bus driver was quite nice and let me off at the proper stop. So the room itself is very small. The bathroom is the size of a closet. And the kitchen is like a wedge in the wall. I'm not kidding. It's hardly existant. But I do believe him when he says that this is the standard in Dublin. Because I know that it is and everyone complains about how expensive Dublin is. So I've decided to take the room and hopefully the other girl doesn't back out. I really would just like to get out of the hostel. And I think the Canadian girl will be more fun to hang out with since she is in the same position as me. The room is in a good area with lots of bars and clubs within walking distance. I've come to realize how lucky we are in Toronto because for that money you would at least be able to get something halfway decent.

So it's been pouring rain in Dublin. Luckily I had my umbrella. My jeans still got soaked though as well as my jumper. Christine - my poncho was still in my suitcase!! But it sure would have come in handy.

Right, I'm off to bed. On the agenda tomorrow is to attend the USIT orientation and to get a mobile phone. And then I begin the job hunt on Tuesday. I'm also going to try and familiarize myself with the city more by taking a walk around. But I do have to tell you that it is intimidating being by yourself in such a big city. I totally admire and have the utmost respect for those of you who have done it. Props to yas.

I should go to bed as it's 1 am here.

Sharon - thank you so much for everything in London. As I said I had a fabulous time. I should have stayed longer. Thanks for taking me to the local hang outs. I had so much fun!!! Thank you for being a great friend and supporter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home